1. Alexandria Small & Micro Enterprise Project- SME
ABA is considered one of the leading NGOs in the field of promoting small and micro enterprises.
It started a comprehensive credit program for this national purpose in January 1990. This program is considered one of the world’s best practices in Micro Finance. This due to the diversification of different credit programs and the innovative use of tools to achieve its objectives.
The project is now covering 6 Governorates (Alexandria, Kafr El-Sheikh- Beheira- Monufia- Matruh- Gharbia) through 60 branch offices and employing more than 900 staff.
Achievements of Year 2014
|Total Amount lent||L.E 5,730,854,749|
|Total number of loans||2,444,596|
|Average loan size||L.E 2130|
|Loans Outstanding||L.E 491,034,941|
|No. of Active Clients||251,756|
|Number of Staff||1195|
2. ABA Advocacy Unit
ABA Advocacy Activities
- » Reviewing project laws, decrees, addressing concept papers and recommendations to relevant ministries.
- » Representation in various government councils, representing the voice of the business community
- » Hosting ABA Advocacy Unit, housing the ISLAH Reform Index
ABA Advocacy Unit
- » Established, to advocate for reform and to improve the regulatory framework of doing business in Egypt
- » Provides a private sector view on the business climate in Egypt
- » Raise public awareness on the need for private sector contribution to reform
- » Working with the government, to set the reform agenda
ISLAH reform index
- » Created to regularly measure and monitor the progress of government reforms as perceived by the business community
- » Contributing to improving business practices in Egypt through continuously illustrating and communicating the business climate performance, challenges, and potential.
- » Creating a clearer perception and understanding of the nature and practices of business reform in Egypt
- » ABA reached: Alex governorate, GAFI,IDA & MOI and international organizations: IFC & WB, to establish an Index reflecting private sector view in business reforms
- » ABA collaborated with IFC in launching ISLAH Reform Index through establishing an Advocacy unit in ABA as a platform
Why ISLAH is different?
- » It is an example of private-public partnership in seeking reform
- » Represent Egyptian business nature, other indexes are based on some criteria which are not applicable to Egypt
- » Gathered data from business persons and not consultants or lawyer offices
- » In depth view into all indicators to reach actual bottle necks enabling to advocate for reform: eg. Building licenses, trading across borders and employing workers.
- » Using qualitative and quantitative indicators
Islah reform index next steps
» Issuing the 2nd edition of Islah Reform index
» Expanding the base of the survey by collaborating with:
- » Egyptian Businessmen Association “EBA”
- » The Confederation of Egyptian European Business Association “CEEBA”
- » The French Chamber in Egypt “CCFE”
- » The British Egyptian Business Association “BEBA”
Micro Enterprise Reform Index
ABA Launched “Small and Micro Enterprises Reform Index” in May 2013 with the collaboration of Ministry of Trade and Industry and International Finance Corporation “IFC”
It highlights the obstacles facing the SME sector in Egypt. The MRI is a result ISLAH Index recommendations which have indicated that small and micro enterprises face a whole different set of obstacles in doing business in Egypt
3. Dual Education System
ABA partnered with the Egyptian Ministry of Education and the German Technical Cooperation (GTZ) to introduce the Dual Education System in Alexandria Governorate in its efforts to restructure the Egyptian technical & vocational education towards the labor market-oriented system.
The Regional Unit for Dual System is located at ABA premises to monitor and supervise the school and factory relation.
4. Middle East Training Center
MET Center was founded on 29th March 2007 with an objective to serve and fulfill needs of clients and employees of small and micro financing entities through applying best practices in micro financing field as a way to eliminate poverty and develop community. And in order to achieve its mission to support and enhance human resources and organizational capabilities by providing technical help and professional education to civil community organizations for arising standard of living.
MET Center’s activities can be summarized as follows
- 1. Training: professional training programs provided to originations that work in micro financing filed such as: Financial Analysis, Monitoring and Supervision, Managerial Skills Development, Fundamentals of Credit, Strategic Planning, Product Development, Institutional Business Planning, Operational Risk Management.
- 2. Organizing seminars, workshops and meetings for outside entities by hosting organize training programs, monthly meetings and workshops throughout the year to several institutions and big companies.
- 3. Provision consultancy: MET Center is also helping business through its Technical library, Technical Aids, Permanent Exhibition and Alexandria Information center (AIC).